The birth of Astrid Grace

Astrid Grace was born September 4th, 2012 @ 9:10 pm via cesarean section.

I definitely was not expecting to have a c-section. It was the last thing on my mind.. 
But, when I went to my 38 week OB appointment, we discovered I was leaking amniotic fluid. I was prompted to go straight to L&D. I didn't even have my bags packed! My husband dropped me off at the hospital and went straight home with a messy hand-written list by me with EVERYTHING we needed. Trust me, I was a wreck. We didn't have anything prepared!

Once I got settled into my room, the nurse came in and we discussed my birth plan. Since I was leaking fluid, my doctor started talking induction. He knew my desire for a natural birth, so, we agreed to start with a breast pump to help stimulate contractions. And, I must say, the nurses at my hospital were awesome. Very pro-natural birth and breast feeding. They even asked me if I was taking home my placenta. Um, ya! 

We went through all the waivers I had to sign for no Vitamin K shot or Hep B vaccine. Everything was fine until the nurse checked my blood pressure. 165/90. Checked again, 172/92. Okay, what's going on? I laid on my left side and did some deep breathing. I started getting a pain right above my belly, almost like an elephant was sitting on my chest. 200/110. They checked my urine and found protein. My liver enzymes were also elevated. This all happened within the span of one hour, One hour!

My OB came in, sat down next to me and grabbed my hand. He explained what was happening and said this was an emergency situation that needed to end in a c-section. My heart sank. This is what I did not want. Tears were streaming down my face as I started to text my doula. I couldn't even finish the text, so, my OB volunteered to call her for me. How rad is that?

They prepped me, my doula showed up 15 minutes later, and before I knew it I was in the operating room, flat on my back, numb from the waist down. My OB played Aerosmith the whole time, though :). 

Right when she was born, and I heard her wail, my mind was at ease. She's here, she's finally HERE! 

proud papa



8 days old

2 months old

3 months old
She brings such joy to my life. I'm a proud momma!



Comments

Popular Posts