Super mom - Spin-off from Six Time Mommy

I recently read a blog post from Six Time Mommy about being "super mom". I am by no means a super mom, or even close to being a super mom. Heck, she is way more of a "super mom" than I am, even though she in no way resonates with that term at all. And I get it. I get why she feels that way.

Us moms feel the need to be perfect. The perfect cook, the perfect teacher, the perfect crafter, the perfect everything. Because, well, we want our children to be proud of us. We want them to remember us as that person who was always doing what's "right" - (whatever "right" is).

And I feel like I need to push myself harder because I am not a "normal" mom. (See, there I go with the quotation marks again. What is "normal"?). In my mind, normal is a mom who doesn't have chronic pain, and who can get up every day (without pain) and get the day started. Make breakfast, maybe even clean up a bit, sit and do crafts/read with kids, etc. And there's always something cooking or baking in the kitchen. The house doesn't need to be perfect, by any means. But, definitely clean enough that it doesn't look like a pig sty to an outsider.

See, as I typed that all out, even that doesn't seem realistic. Like, really? Does any mom do these things with ease every. single. day? I don't think so.

So, why am I so hard on myself?

I think it's combination of mommy guilt mixed with the fear of imperfection mixed with being a Virgo (ha). But, seriously.

My house isn't perfect - far from it actually! And I don't cook homemade meals every day. I need to learn to accept this, and that because of my illness, I won't get to accomplish all that I want to. At least not right now. And I'm okay with that. I hope that in the future, I will feel well enough to do everything I want to do, and that my daughter will be proud of me either way.

Comments

  1. I absolutely love this! I happened to stumble upon it by accident too.
    I love these posts because they are honest... I don't feel like a super mom, I just do what I have to to make the family get through the days!

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing mom and an amazing friend. I love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts