thirty-three weeks and a finished birth plan

Ugh, I'm such a bad blogger!!!

My sister just left on Tuesday, and maybe now (since I'll be so bored) I can start writing again. Well, I guess I won't be too bored, seeing as how I'll be full-term in less than 4 weeks! So much to do, so little time.

I'm getting bigger every day, which makes me happy :). I like knowing she's growing big and strong. My belly is super itchy; lotion is my best friend!

We went and did the hospital tour a few days ago, and I really liked everything the nurse told us. They are all about baby rooming with mommy, and won't take the baby out of the room unless there is a serious problem. They are big on skin-to-skin (chya!) and promote breast feeding. Score!

After the tour, I looked through the "goodie bag" they gave us, and there was a schedule in there for the "alternative" childbirth tour, WHAT?! Why didn't I know about this? The tour mainly focuses on natural and water births, and the more "crunchy" stuff that I am all about. I immediately called to reserve our spot for the tour (next week!).

I finished my birth plan FULLY. It's been pretty much done for a while, but I deleted some stuff that I know will be fine when I get to the hospital. I'd rather have a shorter, more precise birth plan, than a long, redundant one that nobody at the hospital will read. 

Here we go:
-----


Labor Augmentation and Induction:

As long as baby and I are healthy, I would like no time restrictions on the length of my pregnancy. 
I would like to labor at home for as long as possible.
If induction is necessary, I'd like to wait until I am past my due date, unless mine or baby's health is compromised.
I'd like to try natural induction methods first such as: breast pump/nipple stimulation, walking, red raspberry leaf tea, herbs, sexual intercourse, chiropractic, acupuncture.
If medical induction becomes necessary I would like to try: stripping membranes.


Labor
Do not offer me pain medication. I will ask for it if I want it.

I would like the option to move freely and change positions as much as I'd like.
I would like to wear my own clothing.
I want to freely eat and drink as I am comfortable.
If birthing equipment is available, I'd like to use a birthing ball and a birthing tub/pool/shower.
No IV, but if necessary I'd prefer a hep-lock.
I prefer limited vaginal exams.
I would like intermittent monitoring to allow for as much mobility as possible.
Please do not allow any visitors into our room.


Delivery

I would like to birth in the birthing tub/pool.
I would like to give birth in whatever position I find most comfortable.
I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety. Please use warm compress and perineal massage to avoid an episiotomy.
I would like to catch my baby and have her placed directly on my chest following delivery.
I prefer to breastfeed immediately to stimulate uterine contractions for the placenta to deliver on it's own
Please allow the cord to stop pulsing before clamping, and give my husband the option to cut the cord.
Do not tamper with the placenta, we will be taking it home for encapsulation.


C-section (in the event that a c-section becomes medically necessary). 

I would like the spinal/epidural anesthesia.
Please explain what you are doing during the procedure.
I would like both arms free, if possible, to touch and hold my baby immediately after delivery.
I would like my catheter and IV removed promptly after recovery.
Please allow only my husband to be with and hold our baby after birth.
I would like to not be separated from my husband or my baby during the procedure and recovery process.
Please do not allow any visitors to see or hold my baby until I have reunited with her.
I would like to breastfeed as soon as possible.
No formula or artificial nipples are to be given to baby.


Baby After Care

Our baby will not be separated from us for the whole hospital stay.
I will be exclusively breastfeeding. Do not give our baby formula.
Do not give our baby any artificial nipples such as bottle or pacifier.
I would like to delay weighing, cleaning, and measuring until after bonding and after we've initiated breastfeeding.
Our baby is not to receive eye drops, a Vitamin K shot or any vaccinations of any kind.
Do not bathe baby, we will be bathing her for the first time at home.


Baby After Care (unexpected events)

Please allow us unlimited visitation should our baby need to leave the room.
I would like to breastfeed my baby if possible, if not, I will pump breast milk.

Thank you for making this a positive experience for us!

-----

Our cloth stash is complete! I'm going to be writing a post about prepping the diapers (pictures included!) and also another post on our "to-do" list before baby comes. Here's to hoping I'll stop being a slacker!

Comments

Popular Posts