Switchin' it up...again.

Last night we had our Natural Childbirth Preparation Class, and I really loved it! It was so informative, mainly about what each stage of labor is and feels like, and when to call your doula/go to the hospital. The other couples there were all homebirthers, and it made me a little sad knowing we'd be going to a hospital. But, the instructor was awesome about letting us know what is important and what's not when giving birth at a hospital. One of the things she mentioned was keeping your birth plan short and sweet. I had heard this before from several other sources, but, I really wanted every detail to be included.
She gave us a sample birth plan which was pretty much like mine, except straight to the point, and doesn't include anything about a c-section. I decided to take that part of my birth plan out, seeing as how c-sections are so one-dimensional; I won't have any say in, well, anything! I also am taking out things that are sort of redundant, mainly because I know my OB and hospital are fine with those specific things (skin-to-skin contact, exclusive breast feeding, etc). And I chose to start out the birth plan with a small paragraph about our wants for a natural birth, because when nurses see the word "natural", and also the word "doula", they pretty much know what to expect.

So, here it is. Again!
-----
I would like to have a natural childbirth at your hospital. We are expecting a little girl and are very excited and hope to have a positive experience to be remembered. This birth plan is to inform you of our goals for this birth. We will try to remain flexible, but hope our wishes can be honored, conditions permitting.

Labor

Please do not ask me if I'd like pain medication, I will ask for it if I feel I need it.
I'd like intermittent monitoring to allow for as much mobility as possible.
Hep-lock instead of an IV so I can move about freely.
I'd like to wear my own clothing, and eat and drink as I am comfortable.
I'd like limited vaginal exams.
Please do not allow any visitors into our room.

Birth

I'd like to give birth in the birthing tub.
Please use the olive oil I brought for perineal massage if necessary to avoid an episiotomy.
I'd like my baby to be placed immediately on my chest.
Allow the cord to stop pulsing before clamping, and give my husband the option to cut it.
We will be taking the placenta home for encapsulation.

Baby After Care

Our baby is not to receive the hep b vaccine, vitamin k shot (unless forceps or vacuum were used), or eye drops.
We are exclusively breast feeding. No formula, bottles, or artificial nipples are to be given.
Please delay newborn screening until we've established breast feeding and skin-to-skin contact.
We will be bathing baby for the first time at home.

-----

Simple enough, right? I hope it fits onto one page :).

Comments

Popular Posts