Placentophagia. Yes, I'm talking about it.

"You're gonna eat your...what?"

My placenta!

Well, not really. It'll be dehydrated and encapsulated, so no real chewing will go down. But, still. I'm ingesting my placenta.

I haven't talked about this with many people because, well frankly most will think I'm nuts. Not that I care or anything, but I'd rather keep my crunchy ways on the lowdown because most people don't understand or won't take the time to understand. Just like when I've been asked, "So, you're not having a normal birth?" What constitutes as normal? I think what they mean to say is "mainstream" birth. Because normal, to me, means natural.

So, why would I be doing this you might ask? The main reason is the health benefit. You are replacing all of the hormones and nutrients that you lost during birth. Think about it: you built up these nutrients during your entire pregnancy, and in one swift (or not so swift) movement, they're gone. Sounds like depression waiting to happen.

I don't get a 'kick' out of ingesting something that has been in my uterus for ~40 weeks. Nope, not at all. In fact, it kind of grosses me out. But, I'll do just about anything to ward off the baby blues and to give me some energy postpartum, because, well, I'll need it!
------

Here are the benefits of placenta encapsulation (taken from cafemom.com):

  • decrease in postpartum depression
  • increases and enriches breast milk
  • increase in energy
  • decrease in postpartum bleeding
  • decrease in iron deficiency
  • decrease in insomnia
    • "The placenta's hormonal make-up is completely unique to the mother. No prescription, vitamin or herbal supplement can do what one placenta pill can. How amazing is that?"
------
Very amazing!


I might even make my hubby take a few ;).

Comments

Popular Posts