nineteen weeks and contemplating fear/making a plan

I have been slacking on blogging lately! Eek!

Tomorrow I will be 19 weeks pregnant, and time is flyin' by! I am almost halfway there; unreal!

I have been compiling a list of specific things to post about, and this week I want to talk about fear.

Lately I have been overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done. I'm more so thinking about my plans for labor and birth, and if they will work out how I want them to. Yeah, I've been fretting about getting everything ready for baby, but I'd be pretty content with just having our stash of cloth diapers (with the washing necessities of course), some onesies, swaddling blankets, and a breast pump. That's it. I know she doesn't need a lot when she's born. We don't even plan on having a crib until we move out at in January because she will be sleeping with us and rarely by herself, so the big things aren't really stressing me at this point. But, thinking about my birth plan and all it entails, and then hearing difficult labor stories, really doesn't put my mind at ease.

I realized that I need to be 110% prepared before going into labor, even if things don't work out how I want them to (which, I realize, is very very possible). I want to know ahead of time that if something does arise that I don't feel comfortable with, that I can have the courage and the voice to speak up for myself and not let others take over the situation. I have said this times and time again: if baby's health is compromised, I have no problem being immediately induced and, if worse comes to worse, having a c-section. But, I want to make sure all of my options are laid out on the table before taking that emergency route.

Here is a little preview of my birth plan (definitely not finished yet, still have to work out a few kinks):
-As long as baby and I are healthy, I would like no time restrictions on the length of my pregnancy.
-I would like to labor at home for as long as possible.
-If induction becomes necessary, I would like to try natural induction techniques first, such as: breast/nipple stimulation, walking, castor oil [these aren't all of them, still researching on which ones are best].
-If medical induction becomes necessary, I would like to try stripping my membranes.
-I prefer to give birth in the natural birthing suite with a tub.
-If birth equipment is available, I would like to use a: birthing ball and birthing tub/shower
-Please do not offer pain medication unless I specifically ask for it.
-I want to be able to walk around and move as much as I'd like during labor.

This might look a little excessive to some people, and I'm not even 1/3 of the way finished :). If this does seem excessive to you, I'm not surprised. Most women/people are so used to what they see on TV or in movies that they think labor and birth are a medical emergency and that it's supposed to be some huge, dramatic scene where the mother-to-be is screaming her head off, sweaty, and insisting on pain meds. It doesn't have to be this way. 

The point here is, take control. You have rights as a patient woman in labor and this is your time to take action. Do what you want and what you feel is comfortable. Don't be concerned about the doctors' schedule and whether or not they will be home in time for dinner.


I am going to blog my ass off this weekend. So expect a post or two on cloth diapering, chiropractic care, and maybe even placenta encapsulation. :)

Comments

Popular Posts